British teen dies after eating own hair

Toronto Star:-A British teenager who had been eating her hair for years died last week after a hairball caused her stomach to become infected.

According to the Skegness Standard, 16-year-old Jasmine Beever became sick on Sept. 7, days before starting school at Lincolnshire Regional College, where she would’ve studied hair and beauty.

Beever collapsed at the school and was rushed to hospital. Doctors were able to revive the teen but she died later that day.

An autopsy performed on Beever showed a hairball in her stomach had caused peritonitis – an infection of abdomen tissue, which eventually created a burst in her ulcer that shut down her organs, Lincolnshire Livereported.

The teen’s mother, Donna Marshall, described Beever as a “bubbly” person who was “one of those kids where she would make a sad face in the room smile.”

“She was such a darling,” Marshall told Lincolnshire Live. “I am going to miss her terribly. We are all in shock.”

Citing the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, Fox News reported people who consume their own hair are likely diagnosed with Rapunzel syndrome, which is caused by a psychiatric disorder known as trichophagia – the compulsive eating of hair.

2 Comments

  1. Anonymous
    September 15, 2017 at 5:00 pm Reply

    Good to know others will learn

  2. Patriotic
    September 15, 2017 at 5:21 pm Reply

    Tragic and bizarre. Never knew that hair was palatable and/or tasty and I wonder if the Rumpunzel Syndrome is more common in Caucasian and Asian people who tend to have long hair.

Leave a Reply

Shares