Minister chides public for criticising police

National Security Minister, Hermangild Francis, has chided members of the public for berating the police when they do their jobs.

Asserting that there are some ‘low lying issues’ that the law enforcement officers have to tackle, including traffic offences, the former Deputy Police Commissioner disclosed that he had recently seen a young man going in the wrong direction along a one-way street.

“That has to stop,” Francis asserted as he spoke with reporters last week.

However he noted that when the police stop persons for such offences, members of the public are critical of the officers, declaring that the law enforcement officials should be concentrating their efforts on other infractions.

“I am in the bank in the line for the ATM and a gentleman comes in and he breaks the line and tries to go before me and I stop him, and then a Security Guard you know, somebody in uniform, says to me you know, I should not have stopped him – this is the indiscipline and the kinds of things that happen in this country,” the minister observed.

“When the police are doing what they are supposed to do, you get the feedback that persons are saying that the police are this and the police are that – nothing happens and then the police are not doing their work,” Francis stated.

He said: “We need to know what we want. We need to allow the police to do their work.”

September 18, 2017 at 12:07 pm Reply

Brother I got your back.

September 18, 2017 at 4:41 pm Reply

New Testament Verse of the Day:
      As he considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. “Joseph, son of David,” the angel said, “do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For the child within her was conceived by the Holy Spirit.”

– Matthew 1: 20

2. Csa member
    September 18, 2017 at 12:15 pm Reply

Well I guess they security knew what he was up to

1. iman
      September 18, 2017 at 12:36 pm Reply

Huh? That makes sense to you?

September 18, 2017 at 4:40 pm Reply

I would say that it’s all about quality of training the police and security guards are getting, in the US, most of which served in the military, then when we returned we continue that discipline that we got into civilian life. But in St. Lucia this is not the case, as long as those kids graduate school discipline is thrown out the door. It is really a problem in our society, it all begins in the home.

3. Eric Shon
    September 18, 2017 at 12:18 pm Reply

Totally agree with him. A lot of Lucians just cut the line and shout their order knowing so many people ahead of them.
    Totally devoid of manners and decent behaviour, same on the roads.

1. A.J
      September 18, 2017 at 1:31 pm Reply

This cutting in the line thing is really really out of control in St Lucia. I am well traveled and the degree to which I see this happening here is alarming, I am not saying it does not happen somewhere else, I am sure it does, but something about some St Lucians, many of them do not like order and taking a queue. It has happened to me countless times and I complained to the teller and tell them they are wrong for serving the persons they are aware jumped the line. I think those are the things Customer Service Managers, Security Guard and Tellers should really correct. They are the ones who have let it fester to this point. Bank of St Lucia, Bridge Street is famous for this and I have called the bank to complain about it. On at least three occasions I have been there on the queue and an male individual I know personally just walks in goes straight to the referral line, get served by the teller, withdraws his cash and leaves. Civil Service Credit Union is another, people who are not in the uniform come in and head straight to the teller reserved for persons in uniform. I wish these places would enforce their signs, use their securities and keep some order in their establishments.

September 18, 2017 at 4:51 pm Reply

You totally agree with the diversion at this time.

4. LL
    September 18, 2017 at 12:22 pm Reply

You need to sort Soufiere town out there has been a mess by the church for some time now it make the area look so bad it is not very encouraging for the tourist fix the place
    It’s the forgotten town

5. 666 - No Political Affiliation.
    September 18, 2017 at 12:32 pm Reply

We are now reaping the ugly fruits that we sowed over the past 30 yrs or so.

6. Vitalis.
    September 18, 2017 at 12:32 pm Reply

The Police are not doing their jobs fully. They are not investigating cases, not even when the perpetrators are positively identified. And many cases up and down the country has been stalled or stagnated because the Police will not investigate to seek it’s closure. Mr Francis is too far away from the ground to have hands-on knowledge of Police work (or lack of work) in these many pending cases. That is the reality with which victims have to live.

September 18, 2017 at 1:59 pm Reply

Hey A .J my dear ST Lucians are head burnt people..hahaha..i am a lucian myself. .and let me run this by you..we lucian’s are one of a kind.soooo you bear that in mind.Sir

September 18, 2017 at 2:04 pm Reply

What really is the relavance of this statement by the minister??? someone please tell me cause i don’t see it,he is just lashing out at what he saw in my opinion.see no reasons why mentioned the police name.they are all fedup of the crap that takes place in the police force.

9. Che Boo hoo
    September 18, 2017 at 2:06 pm Reply

Really? This made the news? Must be a slow news day.

10. No nonsense
    September 18, 2017 at 2:16 pm Reply

You live by the gun, you die by the gun. You kill, you get killed. You rape, you get raped by the rope on your neck or take the bullet. Period.

11. Marie
    September 18, 2017 at 2:18 pm Reply

Man take a seat… in fact take several seats, you old fool…

September 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm Reply

We need a revolution to drive the chastanet administration out of the country

September 18, 2017 at 2:56 pm Reply

Aa we on hurricane warning now e…aa…this is the priority right now…wen we get the all clear we can think of those issues….until then …. people be safe

September 18, 2017 at 3:06 pm Reply

That’s is so true. Totally conquer. And the minibus drivers that have half in the road when they stop at the bus stop government provides for them, so they can just move off in front of u.

September 18, 2017 at 6:24 pm Reply

That’s so true. Like they own the roads. Especially the castries gros islet bus driver. I think the police should be on this route more often

September 18, 2017 at 3:19 pm Reply

The whole administration deals with us just like the Donald trump administration so sad talk the most jackastical way jus to sound good an everything is wrong in this country we need help please people I don’t have a side jus say it how I c it

September 18, 2017 at 3:24 pm Reply

Since when francis. …..ù ….so way u trying and say…ù really think people forget u ….Wat game u playing….u need to staighten..our your self and then hamster police men u have e

September 18, 2017 at 6:25 pm Reply

I agree to that

September 18, 2017 at 3:30 pm Reply

Gangsters …..in the police force….Francis name…have to change to Gotti….WHO U THINK U FOOLING…..

September 18, 2017 at 6:26 pm Reply

I don’t know. He is a wanna be minister

September 19, 2017 at 8:00 am Reply

Politicians are generally notorious liars. At times they say and do the right thing. We can’t always vilify them. Instead of engaging in vitriol about the police and the Minister at this time, let’s show some empathy for our brothers and sisters who are presently being badly bettered by Hurricane Maria. Peace!

Vibs