House Speaker says she did not have heart attack

House Speaker, Leonne Theodore-John, was discharged Wednesday from Tapion hospital, telling St Lucia Times that she did not have a heart attack.

Recounting events that took place in parliament Tuesday night, Theodore-John said she felt strange.

“My back was hurting and at one point I felt that I had serious pains in my chest and I had difficulty breathing,” she told St Lucia Times.

Theodore-John recalled that she was rushed to Tapion hospital where she was seen by the Doctor who was on call.

She said the resident specialist was summoned and several tests were done.

“My heart is good. It was not a heart attack – I am fine. I was seriously stressed,” the Speaker explained.

She disclosed that her blood pressure was ‘very high’.

“They kept me overnight for observation to control the blood pressure level – I was heavily medicated so that I could sleep and have a good night’s rest,” Theodore-John stated.

“We did the EKG again this morning – we did a heart scan and everything is good with my heart. It was not a heart attack but it was stress-related and I also did a stress test this morning, so all is well,” the House Speaker told St Lucia Times.

She said she was given medication to rest and sleep.

The Speaker’s illness has revived the debate over the need to appoint a Deputy Speaker.

Prime Minister, Allen Chastanet, told reporters Wednesday that Tuesday evening’s incident involving Theodore-John’s sudden illness was not something that happens on a regular basis.

He expressed the hope that the matter of the non-appointment of a Deputy Speaker would be ‘amicably resolved’ in the future.

“In terms of the government and the people’s business, it is proceeding- there is nothing that is interfering with the people’s business,” Chastanet asserted.

“There was only one bill that we didn’t get done and we are going to meet today to determine when the next date is going to be – more than likely December 5, and on December 5 we will continue the people’s business,” the prime minister explained.

November 1, 2017 at 3:40 pm Reply

! a deputy speakers should of been appointed over a year ago

November 1, 2017 at 3:53 pm Reply

It is obvious that them fellas in the House stressing out the Speaker with the hope of having her give up the position on the grounds of ill health. A devious bunch of politicians.

3. Joe
    November 1, 2017 at 4:14 pm Reply

Them SLP have 5 non Ministers in the Opposition but will not appoint a Deputy Speaker. Devious bad minded people only interest in power with their mismanagement. In 14 years in power they had GDP growth of less than 1% every year. Clueless dangerous people.

November 1, 2017 at 4:39 pm Reply

In our form of democracy winner take all and is therefore in charge of running the Executive and Parliamentary branch….. Bozoo….

November 2, 2017 at 9:15 am

Don’t be incorrect or ignorant of the facts while calling people names. It just make you look stupid. In our form of democracy there is nothing wrong or should I say it will be totally in keeping with the law/constitution to appoint someone from the opposition as deputy speaker. Will it happen? Probably not. Remember the government is made up of all elected members, which includes the opposition members.

November 1, 2017 at 7:13 pm Reply

Why didn’t she go VH?

1. Mary
      November 2, 2017 at 3:28 am Reply

Because it is her choice to go where she wants

November 1, 2017 at 7:58 pm Reply

So she says ?? Persons need to check who they have lunch with. PM check your people.

6. Trump
    November 1, 2017 at 9:04 pm Reply

good question why she did not go to vh ,they dont care about our heath situation because they know they can always run to tapion

November 2, 2017 at 10:33 am Reply

Ok then…….hmm

November 2, 2017 at 1:20 pm Reply

PM send the Speaker home for 3 months rest and temporary replace her with Dennis Springer senior. 😃😃
    Estephane the minister or the representative for Castries South should be deputy speaker.

November 2, 2017 at 5:21 pm Reply

Guess the Speaker can’t stand the heat. Doh stress yourself Madam Speaker! If you can’t stand the heat get out of the ……………………………!