The Family Court ruled Monday that a three-month old baby who was reported missing from his home in Castries last month and found hours later in a house nearby, should remain in the care of the Department of Human Services while a police investigation into the matter continues.
A source familiar with the case told St Lucia Times that a recommendation is likely to be made shortly on whether the baby’s thirteen year old mother should also be taken into protective care.
‘We are talking about two children here,’ the source said.
According to information obtained by St Lucia Times, the police investigation will also target the father of the baby.
According to a relative, baby Aaron was left in the care of a male cousin just before Christmas while the teenage mother went out.
It is reported that when the underage mother returned home around 1.am the following morning, the baby was present.
According to information obtained by St Lucia Times, the mother of the child later left to visit an aunt.
It is reported that some time after 7.am, the baby’s grandmother came asking the mother for the child, prompting a search and a report to the police that the infant was missing.
The baby was later found alive and well and the Department of Human Services became involved, taking the child into its care.