PRESS RELEASE: The Laborie Co-operative Credit Union (LCCU) is the designated executing agency for an Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) project. The project is known locally as SABLE (Sustainable Agribusiness for Laborie and Environs). The project beneficiaries are individual farmers and fishers in the South of the island. Black Bay Farmers and Consumers Co-operative (BBFCC) and the Laborie Fishers and Consumer Co-operative (LFCC) are also beneficiaries of the project. The project launch takes place on Tuesday January 30, 2018 at 4:00pm at the Black Bay Farmers and Consumers Co-operative, Black Bay, Laborie.
The primary objectives of the US$1.86 million project are to:
1. Expand the opportunities for more sustainable livelihood in Agriculture within the context of climate change.
2. Develop financial support for the adoption of climate resilient practices and technology.
3. Set up an insurance facility to provide farmers with insurance products to protect their investments and loan liabilities.
4. Enable BBFC and LFCC become viable co-operatives, capable of organising their members to ensure that quality, pricing and quantities of produce required by the market are achieved and maintained.
5. Develop and leverage sustainable and profitable markets for producers.
The expected result of SABLE is that farmers and fishers would transition from fishing and farming to agri-business.
For more information please contact: Lucius Ellevic 4596900/4596901 or Jeanell Garness at 4596905.