Man dies after trapping head in chair at UK cinema

A man has died after his head became wedged under the electronic footrest of a cinema’s “Gold Class” seat in Birmingham.

The freak accident happened at StarCity’s Vue Cinema after the man dropped his phone in between the Gold Class seats at the end of the film, the Birmingham Mail reports.

When the man bent down to retrieve his phone, the local paper said the electric seat’s footrest clamped down on his head. He was only freed when the footrest was broken by those trying to help.

Operator Vue International said an investigation at its Birmingham StarCity venue was under way.

They confirmed the man had died a week after the incident on Friday (March 16).

Shares