Economic Development Minister, Guy Joseph, has advised motorists to avoid using the Barre de L’ Isle.
It’s because heavy overnight rain caused a major landslide on the Barre de L’ Isle road.
Joseph paid a visit to the area Thursday.
Police Commissioner, Milton Desir and officials of the Ministry of Infrastructure were also present.
“Those who can go through Soufriere should try to use that area as much as possible,” Joseph stated.
And he noted that traffic had been reduced to a single lane.
But the Minister explained that the country expects rain for the next three days.
As a result, he said it means that the single carriageway that can be used for serious emergency situations can be compromised.
Joseph said work will continue throughout the night to address the problem.
However, he said it depends on how stable the situation remains.
Police Commissioner, Milton Desir, for his part, announced that heavy equipment and trucks should not use the Barre de L’ Isle.
“The intention is that when the ministry is doing works, they will close the road completely because it will not be safe for vehicles to be traversing,” Desir explained