Friday, December 6, 2019

Barbados To Give Up Majority Ownership Of LIAT

Barbados is to give up its majority ownership of regional airline LIAT, according to a report in Barbados Today.

According to the publication, Prime Minister Mia Mottley made the announcement in parliament this week.

It said the announcement comes amid speculation that Barbados may back the startup of a rival carrier involving Barbadian investors and a multilateral lender.

Prime Minister Mottley confirmed to  parliament that her country has accepted an offer from Prime Minister Gaston Browne to take up most of its 49.4 per cent stake in LIAT, it was reported.

Antigua and Barbuda currently holds 34 percent ownership of the cash-strapped regional airline, followed by St Vincent and the Grenadines and Dominica to make up 94.7 per cent of the total, while private shareholders and staff own the remaining 5.3 per cent.

Saint Lucia’s Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has consistently made it clear that his administration will not support the regional carrier if there continues to be ‘business as usual’ at the airline.

However he has disclosed that Saint Lucia is willing to back a ‘new engaged LIAT.’

At the same time, Chastanet has expressed confidence that that there are other airlines that could very easily fill the gap if LIAT folds up.

 

2 COMMENTS

  1. While i agree for other air lines to fill in the gap, but not at any price, i would like to see the governments control the airline prices; come to look at it, a 8-12 min: flight from Martinique to saint Lucia is costing 322 US dollars, and an 8 hours flight to paris is 390 €. So we need price control!

  2. The reason there is many alternatives to Liat is because a lot of these routes are not profitable for airlines

Comments are closed.

TRENDING

Saint Lucia Ruling Party Wants Hilaire Questioned Over Dominica Riots

Saint Lucia's ruling United Workers Party (UWP) is urging authorities here and in Dominica to question Castries South MP, Ernest Hilaire, in relation to...

PM Announces ‘Great News’ For Job Seekers In The South

Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has announced what he describes as more great news for job seekers in the South of Saint Lucia. In a post...

15-Year Old Burglar Caught In the Act: Cutlass, Knife And Mask Found

A teenage burglar was caught in the act Wednesday morning at Yorke Hill, La Clery, Castrie,  after breaking into the house of a former...

Cop Questioned In Probe Into Attack On Former Beauty Pageant Contestant

A police officer is assisting law enforcement officials with investigations into an attack earlier this year on former beauty pageant contestant, Maygan Pascal, police...