The Ministry of Health has thanked members of the public for their cooperation in adhering to measures to reduce COVID-19 transmission.
This as the ministry notes a decrease in the number of COVID-19 cases diagnosed here.
Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Sharon Belmar-George thanked the public on the ministry’s behalf in a statement Tuesday.
She said health officials have noted a reduced number of people with respiratory illness and reduced admissions at the Respiratory Hospital.
In addition, she said the ministry has noticed reduced numbers accessing care at the clinics.
However Belmar-George noted that at this stage in the epidemic, to maintain the gains thus far and to continue facilitating the safe reopening of the country, it is imperative that all take the necessary urgent infection prevention and control measures to reduce transmission.
She disclosed that Saint Lucia has noted a total of 4,502 confirmed cases of COVID-19 to date.
Of that number, 4,327 patients have recovered.
And there is one critical patient in care, as well as 97 active cases.
In addition, the Chief Medical Officer said Saint Lucia has recorded a total of 73 COVID-19 related deaths to date.
The Ministry of Health is continuing COVID-19 vaccination on a daily basis across the island.
But Belmar-George observed that many islands are managing new COVID-19 waves.
“Of particular concern is our neighboring island of Martinique,” she explained.
The senior health official noted that Martinique registered 871 documented new cases in the last week with 3 different variants of concern circulating.
Belmar-George observed that as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, the global public health risk remains very high.
In this regard, she said that on a global level, the new cases of COVID-19 have increased for the 8th consecutive week.
More than 5.2 million new cases were reported in the last week, along with an 8 percent increase in deaths.
Headline photo: Dr. Sharon Belmar-George