Wednesday, August 17, 2022

COVID-19: NCOPT Reports Five Cases Plus One Death During Fourth Wave

- Advertisement -

The National Council on Public Transportation (NCOPT) has reported the death this week of one bus operator during the current fourth COVID-19 wave, plus five cases of infection among its ranks affecting five routes.

In making the disclosure Thursday to the Lissa Joseph of the National Television Network (NTN), the first Vice President of the NCOPT, Kentry Frederick, explained that of the five COVID-19 cases, one is in critical care and another is in serious condition.

Frederick disclosed that the NCOPT has been in dialogue with the Ministry of Health and the route associations to sensitise bus operators and take measures to prevent the spread of the virus.

He also said the the executive of the NCOPT is discussing the current situation.

- Advertisement -

The NCOPT official recalled that last week there was a meeting with the Command Centre.

“What we recognise was there was a call for a reduction in passengers, but within the walls of council, prior to this wave, we were allowed to have three persons per row of seats and the numbers were down which means that is not the main problem,” Frederick explained.

“We went along with what we had when the numbers were reduced because the cry is to reduce the number of passengers – this is not the problem.”

“The main problem is human behaviour across the board, hence the reason we believe it is necessary for persons observe the protocols and that’s why we wrote a letter to associations islandwide,” he told NTN.

Frederick indicated that the letter urged adherence to the protocols, including sanitising hands and wearing masks.

“The main issue is not merely reduction in numbers on the bus but human behaviour,” he explained.

By way of example, the NCOPT official said that someone may enter a supermarket and touch items that have already been handled by a number of others, but not sanitise afterwards, thereby potentially contributing to the spread of COVID-19.

“The minibus operators have done well being under so much pressure for over a year so we have to look at both sides of the coin,” Frederick stated.

- Advertisement -
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Our Editorial Staff at St. Lucia Times is a team publishing news and other articles to over 200,000 regular monthly readers in Saint Lucia and in over 150 other countries worldwide.

10 COMMENTS

Comments are closed.

TRENDING

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.

spot_img
Send this to a friend