Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre held a virtual meeting Thursday afternoon with executive members of the Saint Lucia Medical and Dental Association (SLMDA) to discuss proposals to deal with the current COVID-19 health crisis.
“Consultation remains critical as we address the dynamic nature of COVID-19 and the health situation in our country,” Pierre wrote on his official Facebook page.
“In the coming days, I will address the nation and outline our plans which will strengthen our COVID-19 response. We can fight this together. Please remain safe,” he said.
As Pierre met the SLMDA executive, the Ministry of Health, Wellness, and Elderly Affairs announced that this country had recorded 12 more COVID-19 deaths and 109 new cases of the virus.
So far, Saint Lucia has recorded a total of 10, 961 cases of COVID-19, 138 COVID-19 deaths, and 43 COVID-19 related deaths.
Last week Prime Minister Pierre said he would take advice from the medical community on measures to deal with the current COVID-19 pandemic, but did not rule out a lockdown.
““I will lockdown when the medical people say to lockdown,” he said during an appearance on the MBC Television programme ‘Beyond The Headlines’.
Pierre also asserted that all the protocols have been determined, agreed to and advised by by medical professionals.
“I am not no ‘Massa’ Prime Minister,” he declared.
On Wednesday night, former Health Minister Mary Isaac, asserting that the situation with COVID-19 in Saint Lucia is out of control, recommended that the authorities respond with a temporary shutdown of the country.
She expressed confidence that the Saint Lucia Hospitality and Tourism Association (SLHTA) and the minibus sector once they are given time to prepare, would not object to a two-week shutdown to bring things under control so that the country can ‘get going again.
Headline photo from PM’s official Facebook page