Thursday night, Prime Minister Philip J. Pierre announced that Saint Lucia’s COVID-19 State of Emergency (SOE) will end on October 16, 2021, and will not be reinstated.
“The Cabinet of Ministers has agreed to adopt the COVID-19 Prevention and Control Act to invoke adjusted protocols and restrictions that are necessary to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus,” Pierre disclosed in an address to the nation.
He asserted that the COVID-19 virus looks like it will be here for the ‘foreseeable future.’
As a result, Pierre said Saint Lucia must commence the process of living with that reality.
The PM’s complete address appears below:
Meantime, Health, Wellness, and Elderly Affairs Minister, Moses Jn Baptiste disclosed that after discussions and dialogue with the COVID-19 management centre the decision was made to extend the COVID-19 protocols currently in place until the end of October.
Jn Baptiste said the extended protocols will commence on Saturday, October 16, 2021, and end on Thursday, October 30, 2021, and are as follows:
1. Confinement to Residence on weekends will be in effect Monday to Friday from 7 pm and ends at 4 am; Saturday confinement starts at 7 pm and ends on Monday at 4 am. This means that there will be a 24-hour confinement on Sundays.
2. A person may attend a religious ceremony on Sundays during confinement but must return to his or her residence by 1 pm on that day.
3. A person shall not host or attend a mass crowd event, social event except with ten or less persons of his or her immediate family or household.
4. Religious Ceremonies are allowed based on the square footage of the organization in keeping with approved COVID-19 response plan. Special Religious rites including weddings, baptisms and funerals are permitted with 50 or less persons.
5. Suspension of the sale and disposal of intoxicating liquor at bars, rum shops, and grab-and-go restaurants.
6. Sale and disposal of intoxicating liquor from a supermarket, gas station, or wholesaler and approved dine-in service restaurants with a valid liquor license will be permitted.
7. Dine-in services at approved restaurants and food establishments only. Take away (grab and go) and delivery services will be permitted at other establishments.
8. Recreational/social activities at hotels will be permitted on property during curfew hours, provided that such activities take place on property. Water sports and other water related activities such boat rides, skiing etc. must be suspended during the 24hour weekend curfew (from Saturday 7:00 pm to Monday 4:00 am).
9. An educational institution may open for face-to-face engagement to facilitate structured supervision from October 18, 2021, for Grade K, Grade 6, Form 4, Form 5, and Special Education Schools. The Ministry of Education, Sustainable Development, Innovation, Science, Technology, and Vocational Training will communicate the confirmed dates to the public. All other classes shall continue to use distributed learning.
The Minister’s complete address appears below: