rape - woman holding head
rape - woman holding head

A rape attempt on an elderly woman has brought accusations from her family that Vieux Fort police were tardy in their response.

The accusation is currently under investigation, with well-informed sources telling the Times that there may have been a breakdown in communication in relation to the incident.

The sources have also said that there was no deliberate attempt by the police to be tardy.

According to the relatives of the woman, persons on the scene contacted the police immediately after the incident and several calls were made to the Vieux Fort police station.

Nevertheless, they claim that the police arrived at the hospital several hours later.

“The officer on duty who took the report never informed the CID officers on duty of the incident. It was not until the family went down to the police station around 8:30 am that the officers were made aware of the incident,” a representative of the family told the Times.

“Even then the family still had to wait over thirty minutes for the officers to find a rape kit and gather themselves to head to the hospital. No one from the investigations department visited the crime scene,” the family member alleged.

According to the individual, the family is outraged at the lack of response from the police and want the officer to be held accountable for his actions or lack thereof.

The rape attempt occurred on June 11, 2016 after 5:AM.

The victim, who is from Pierrot, was attacked as she went for an early morning walk along her usual route.

According to reports, a young man in his twenties grabbed the woman from the back.

The assailant took her to a secluded area near an abandoned house, where he proceeded to remove her clothing and his.

It is reported that when the woman began crying, he punched her in the face and threatened to kill her.

After the woman pleaded with the assailant to leave her alone, he is reported to have fled.

The victim dragged herself to the main road, where she was assisted by a Good Samaritan.

The Good Samaritan ran to the family home to inform relatives there of what had transpired, according to reports.

The victim’s family immediately rushed to the scene and the victim was transported to St Jude hospital, the Times was informed.

Two family members proceeded to search for the assailant, and after about two hours of searching they were informed that the perpetrator had been caught.

He had boarded a bus bound for Castries after getting an accomplice to drop him off at the Desruisseaux gap, apparently not knowing that the driver was related to the victim.

From the description given at the scene, the driver was able to recognize the man who was identified as the assailant in the rape attempt, and turned him over to the police.

Police later held the alleged accomplice.


Comments are closed.