Vieux Fort South MP, Dr. Kenny Anthony, reporting on his visit last week to the St Jude Hospital (SJH) construction site, has described what he encountered as ‘a distressing sight’.
“One week later, I am yet to wrap my head around what I saw and the updates I received from the project team who did their very best to answer my questions,” the former Prime Minister, who accompanied other members of Cabinet on the tour wrote on his official Facebook page on Wednesday.
“It is difficult to accept that after spending approximately $130 million dollars that this is all we have. I was also informed that a further $24 million was made available to the contractor just before the elections but I am unable to confirm. I cannot believe that a hospital which was due to open before the last General Elections is at this stage of completion. It appears complete on the outside but it is another story inside. There are no walls, no sign of electrical and plumbing work. There is no ceiling and I was told that the plan is to provide a drop ceiling from the roof,” Anthony said.
His Facebook post was accompanied by several photographs which the MP said he was sharing so people could get a sense of what the visiting team saw.
Anthony recalled having said during the election campaign that he did not want St Jude to be caught up in any political battle that will delay it’s completion.
“We must spare no effort to complete St Jude. The people of Vieux-Fort and the surrounding areas deserve their hospital. However, there must be full and frank disclosure so that Saint Lucians know exactly what we inherited. Additionally, there must be accountability regarding the use of the state’s resources,” he said.
According to Anthony, some work continues at St Jude by a skeleton labour force.
And he has promised to provide updates in the future.
All photos courtesy Dr. Anthony’s Facebook page