Dozens Dead In Attack On Nigeria Catholic Church

- Advertisement -

Dozens of people, including women and children, were killed in southwestern Nigeria on Sunday when gunmen attacked a church, officials said.

The bloodshed occurred at St. Francis Catholic Church in the town of Owo in Ondo state, more than 200 miles southwest of Abuja, the Nigerian capital.

A group of unknown gunmen stormed the church at around 11:30 a.m. local time during a service for Pentecost Sunday, with about four of the assailants opening fire inside the building while others shot at worshippers outside, according to Funmilayo Ibukun Odunlami, a spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force’s command in Ondo state.

“Some lives were lost and some sustained varying degrees of injuries,” Odunlami said in a statement on Sunday, later telling ABC News on Monday that police do not yet have an estimate on the number of casualties.

- Advertisement -

Health workers at the Federal Medical Center in Owo told ABC News on Monday that at least 35 bodies had been transported to the hospital from the scene of Sunday’s attack. They said there was also an urgent need for blood donations for the many wounded.

Meanwhile, the Catholic Laity Council of Nigeria said in a statement Monday that “more than 50 parishioners” had died and the gunmen were “suspected to be bandits.”

The attack remains under investigation and specialized police units have been deployed to Owo “to restore normalcy and fortify the entire community,” according to Odunlami.

A motive for the massacre and the identity of the perpetrators was not immediately clear, as no group has claimed responsibility.

A U.S. official briefed on the situation told ABC News that the attack reportedly began with an explosion outside the church, followed by gunmen shooting sporadically at worshippers inside. Stray bullets also killed passersby, the official said.

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/International/35-killed-satanic-attack-catholic-church-nigeria-officials/story?id=85208528

- Advertisement -
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
Our Editorial Staff at St. Lucia Times is a team publishing news and other articles to over 200,000 regular monthly readers in Saint Lucia and in over 150 other countries worldwide.

4 COMMENTS

  1. The time of the third Reich, Naziism, I was a small kid playing with Tops & Marbles. Today is the beginning of the ‘time of the Forth Reich’ it will be worse than the first three. The Forth Horseman of Revelation reveals the outbreak of Pestilence and troubles i.e. Viruses and Bacteria which will ravage almost the entire peoples of this Planet if the Creator Himself didn’t put a hand. There will be Wars of mass destruction, minor wars and the crime of mankind against each other. Coming close to home we have noticed the spirit of this evil is striking out in the Catholic Church in and all around V/Fort. We haven’t seen anything yet, but one advise I have for all – the Tourist Industry will be a thing of the past – time to train youn men and women to get back to the SOIL, the men should take up FISHING seriously for there will very soon be a global shortage of foods and it will be very costly. Lord have mercy.

  2. Some of the inhabitants of the entire world have gone mad. Folk need to live and let live and agree to disagree. The Covid plague could have wiped out the majority of the world’s inhabitants. Yet still, folk remain wicked, unthankful and ungrateful. We are all part of the human race which is ultimately God’s creation. Hatred for your fellow man flows out of an EVIL heart. SMH

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.

spot_img
Teenager Hospitalised After Soufriere ShootingRead
+ +
Send this to a friend