Education Minister, Doctor Gale Rigobert, has accepted full responsibility for the situation at the Beanfield Comprehensive Secondary School, telling reporters Monday that is what leaders do.
“I bitterly regret the sequence of events. I regret that what is now happening should have happened before the parents chose the school as an option for their children. I apologise on behalf of my staff that this was not done previously. I beg that you forgive us,” Rigobert said at a press briefing.
However she disclosed that her ministry is working very closely with stakeholders to correct the situation.
The disclosure comes days after the opposition spokesman on education, Guibion Ferdinand, chided the Ministry of Education over its announcement that students of feeder schools to the Beanfield Comprehensive Secondary School will be required to change their school choices made for the academic year 2018/2019, mere weeks before the Common Entrance Exam, slated for Wednesday June 13th 2018.
“The change of school choice is clearly not a viable option. The parents themselves have clearly communicated this by rejecting that option. There is still time to provide the Beanfield Comprehensive Secondary School with the additional classroom spaces that can adequately house their form one classes this September,” Ferdinand said in a statement.
Education Minister Doctor Gale Rigobert disclosed that it was brought to her attention that a capacity challenge was being encountered at the Beanfield school.
She said internally, instructions were given to engage with stakeholders to determine a way forward since there was no physical space in the current construct, to house incoming Form One students.
“Admittedly, things did not happen in the way that they should have and my colleagues know that I preach :’Engage! Engage! Engage! Consult! Consult! Consult, well before things morph into a problem.”
“I am the leader of the Ministry. I will assume full responsibility for whoever – whichever unit might have dropped the ball in that regard. That is what leaders do.”
“I pray that after having perused the menu of options that we have come up with after the consultations, all parties will be satisfied that the government of Saint Lucia and the Ministry of Education would have served our clientele well,” Rigobert stated.