Friday, November 15, 2019

Garbage Disposal At Vieux Fort Landfill Halted

The Saint Lucia Solid Waste Management Authority (SLSWMA) has halted all garbage disposal activities at the Vieux Fort Landfill, it has been announced.

A release issued on behalf of the authority said the halt was in effect as of October 1, 2019.

According to the release, a process of covering has commenced where various layers of soil are being spread across the landfill in an effort to start the capping and decommissioning process.  

It explained that to ensure minimum disruptions to the general public, refuse collection days and times will remain the same from Dennery South through to Soufriere.

All household and commercial waste will be trucked to a specialized building on the existing Vieux Fort landfill location, the release stated.

It noted that the waste is then transferred into 45-foot, walk in floor containers and transported to the Deglos landfill.  

“All material that would normally come to the landfill will be received and transported to Desglos at no cost to the businesses or the residents,” says SLSWMA Deputy General Manager, Laurianus Lesfloris.

Laurianus Lesfloris

However he explained that normally there are special waste considerations which would attract a fee for disposal when the Vieux Fort landfill was in operation.

Lesfloris said that includes confidential documents, condemned foods, disposal of pharmaceuticals and mildly hazardous waste.

He declared that there are no cost implications for the business community, but explained that there are restrictions on the materials and quantities that will be accepted.

“We also do not take quantities in excess of 30 cubic yards of construction and demolition waste,” the SLSWMA official stated.

It was explained that this is the first phase towards a landfill free Saint Lucia by 2030.

“Phase two which is expected to commence in February 2020 involves the introduction of pyrolysis units specially designed for the disintegration of waste much closer to the various collection points,” according to the SLSWMA release.  

2 COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING

Odsan Man Reported Missing After Leaving For Martinique Vacation

The family of  37 year old Odsan man is desperate for answers after a loved one went missing. According to relatives, Shane Clement  left the...

Vernon Francois Says No Need For Return Of ORC

Former Police Commissioner Vernon Francois has expressed the view that there is no need for a return of Operation Restore Confidence (ORC). "We do not...

Keeroy Lionel Joins National Team

By Terry Finisterre Last week, Keeroy Lionel won the United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) national men's soccer title with his Bryant & Stratton College...

PM: SJH Construction One of The ‘Most Important Projects In History Of Saint Lucia’

Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has described the construction of St Jude Hospital (SJH) as one of the most important projects in the history of...
Odsan Man Reported Missing After Leaving For Martinique VacationRead
+ +