Firemen rescued a mother and daughter from  a small one room apartment on Chaussee Road Wednesday night.

The daughter, Jennan Mc Lawrence recalled that she was inside  with her mother – Jennifer Mc Lawrence, during the heavy downpour associated with Tropical Storm Matthew.

“As usual, when it rains the place gets flooded and rats – all kinds of things start to enter here,” she told the Times.

Mc Lawrence said she was shot about three months ago, whereupon her family members began expressing fears about her living with them.

She was reported to have been a passerby who was hit in both legs by stray bullets during a shooting incident on Chaussee Road.

mc-lawrenceMc Lawrence told the Times that because of the attitude of her relatives, she moved into the Chaussee Road room.

“I have been going up and down talking to different people for me to get a place but they have not assisted me yet,” she explained.

She expressed her gratitude to the firemen who came to her help Wednesday night and the Saint Lucia Red Cross which provided her and her mother with temporary shelter.

The mother was visiting from Choiseul.

Mc Lawrence told the Times had the Fire Service not responded she believes she would have died of a heart attack.

“The water was rising all the time but not only that, they had two big rats in the room – and the room is not a place that is open, it’s just small,” she observed.

Mc Lawrence, 26,  said when the members of the fire service arrived, she was made to walk to the door where they put her on a stretcher.

She explained that when the firemen arrived the flood water in the room, which had previously risen to about three feet, had subsided after a pause in the heavy rainfall  at about midnight.

But Mc Lawrence noted that it was beginning to rain again and she was afraid that the room would be flooded again.

“They took me to their vehicle and carried me to the Ave Maria school but it was closed; they went to the R.C as well but it was closed so they called I guess and took me to the Red Cross,” she told the Times.

The Chaussee Road resident stated that upon arrival at the Red Cross headquarters in Vigie, she  and her mother were warmly received and treated very kindly.

She told the Times that because of the injury to her leg, she would not have been able to move properly without the assistance of the firemen.

Mc Lawrence stated that the cast on her leg would also have become wet.