Press Release:- The Office of the Mayor is very perturbed at the reckless tactics of the Castries South MP, Dr. Ernest Hilaire and remains very concerned about the insinuations regarding the management of funds belonging to the Castries Constituency Council.
During a town hall meeting on Tuesday August 13, 2019, Mr. Hilaire alleged that when the SLP lost the elections in June 2016, there was over $6 million in savings in the banks of Saint Lucia.
Based on the findings of the new council upon assuming office, that information is categorically false.
In addition, Mr. Hilaire has made a number of claims which are completely untrue and equally misleading.
In order to protect the impeccable image of the CCC and its hardworking staff and to rebuff Hilaire’s politically motivated agenda the Office of the Mayor wishes to state the following facts:
- The Office of the Mayor and Castries Constituency Council adheres to the rules of the Finance Administration Act of Saint Lucia and the principles of accountability and good governance, in the award of ALL Contracts for Capital Projects under our preview.
2. On the issue of the Castries Market Redevelopment Project, it is disheartening that Mr. Hilaire and his Opposition Comrades continue to be against the Government plans to improve the conditions for and profession of our market vendors. Although the Office of the Mayor and CCC are not responsible for the execution of this project, we welcome the initiative and will continue to play our part in representing the vendors of Saint Lucia who were failed by the SLP for so many years. We wish to salute the contractor who was selected in keeping with law and continues to execute a top quality project. Our mission is clear; we are getting the job done for the people especially our dedicated market vendors.
Again Mr. Hailire exposes the nakedness of his SLP, with his latest attack on the City Parking Terminals Project. His recent comments provide further evidence of their lacking vision and “river-side” approach to development of the nation`s Capital City. We are proud of the Parking Terminals Project and how it fits into the border plan of making Castries a modern, green and visitor friendly city. This project is well-advanced!!
- As a Sitting Member of the Parliament it is disheartening and unprofessional for Mr. Hilaire to publicly demand information on the salaries of state workers when he has unimpeded access to that information through the Parliament Office. Notwithstanding, the Office of the Mayor and CCC wishes to assure the citizens of Saint Lucia that our Wage Bill is far less than it was, at the last time the SLP Government manage the monies of this country. The records are available and do not lie.
5. Questions were also levied by the Opposition MP as it relates to the sale of Council`s Shares in the Saint Lucia Electricity Services Limited (LUCELEC). The truth remains that Council remains at major shareholder in the company with 15.50% of shares having sold ONLY 0.83% of its shares.
- The Official vehicle which was obtained for council is the property of the CCC.
History speaks all too well of Mr. Hilaire`s tainted record with money and institution management during his controversial tenure as CEO of West Indies Cricket. Saint Lucians are reminded that West Indies Cricket loss over $14 million in legal payouts, due primarily to Ernest Hilaire`s failure to adhere to basic principles of natural justice and blatantly ignoring the law.
Additionally, Mr. Hilaire is yet to account for monies to fund Saint Lucia`s lost Diabetic Research Centre supposedly funded through his Office of CEO of CIP Saint Lucia by his dear comrade Mr. Juffali.
The Office of the Mayor and Castries Constituency Council is very busy working hard to execute it`s important work programme for the people of Saint Lucia and as such will no longer be distracted in responding to the reckless and callous agenda of Mr. Ernest Hilaire.