Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Man Indicted For Alleged Role In GoFundMe Scam

Associated Press:-  A New Jersey man was indicted on charges stemming from his role in fabricating a feel-good story about a homeless man rescuing a woman from the side of a highway in order to scam online donors out of $400,000 in contributions, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina said 39-year-old Mark D’Amico, of Florence, was indicted on six separate charges related to the scheme.

A message has been left with D’Amico’s attorney for comment.

Johnny Bobbitt and Katelyn McClure pleaded guilty in exchange for their cooperation with authorities.

McClure, who is D’Amico’s ex-boyfriend, pleaded guilty in state Superior Court in April to second-degree theft by deception under a plea agreement that calls for her to serve four years in state prison and help repay the $400,000.

McClure must also testify against D’Amico. He has earlier denied wrongdoing.

Bobbitt, a homeless military veteran,  was sentenced last month to five years’ probation for his role in the scheme. Under his plea agreement, he will also help repay the money, according to prosecutors.

Authorities say the trio concocted the story that Bobbitt rescued McLure, D’Amico’s then-girlfriend, from the side of a Philadelphia interstate in 2017 to enrich themselves.

Prosecutors say the three split the money and spent lavishly, including on a BMW, designer bags and trips to Las Vegas and elsewhere.

The group solicited donations through GoFundMe, purportedly to help Bobbitt, and got significant attention with a media blitz that included posing for photos together, revisiting the spot where they claimed they first met, and appearing on “Good Morning America.”

In all, more than 14,000 people contributed.

Prosecutors say the scheme “was designed to pull at the heartstrings of caring, trusting individuals.”

GoFundMe says it has refunded the money.

McClure and Bobbitt also pleaded guilty in March to federal charges stemming from the scheme.

D’Amico has not been charged in federal court.

2 COMMENTS

  1. LMAO If they weren’t so greedy they could of split it three ways and no-one would be the wiser….sm

    • “Prosecutors say the three split the money and spent lavishly, including on a BMW, designer bags and trips to Las Vegas and elsewhere.”

Comments are closed.

TRENDING

Probe Launched Into Viral Confrontation Between Bus Driver And Passenger

The Gros Islet Minibus Association has launched an investigation into a viral video of a confrontation between one of its members and a female...

Temporary Workers Needed For 2020 Census

The Central Statistical Office of Saint Lucia has  announced the launch of its recruitment drive for the 2020 Population and Housing Census. This national recruitment effort...

St Jude Hospital Site ‘High Security’ Area?

Former Saint Lucia Prime Minister, Doctor Kenny Anthony, says it appears that the St Jude Hospital site is now a “high security” area. Anthony made...

180 CCTV Cameras Introduced To Fight Crime, Hundreds More To Come

Saint Lucia has introduced 180 CCTV cameras providing coverage from Gros Islet to Castries,as part of measures to fight crime. The announcement came Monday from...
VIDEO: Confrontation Between Bus Driver & PassengerRead
+ +