Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Man Spends £30,000 Fighting £100 Speeding Fine

SourceBBC NEWS

A man spent £30,000 of his savings on a failed legal battle “for justice” over a £100 speeding fine.

Richard Keedwell, 71, said a “seriously flawed” legal system meant fighting the fine had taken nearly three years and used up his sons’ inheritance money.

He claims he was wrongly clocked doing 35mph in a 30mph zone on a day trip to Worcester in 2016.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the case involved a “multiplicity of issues” which added to its length.

Retired engineer Mr Keedwell, of Yate near Bristol, claimed he “was certainly not doing more than 30mph” in New Road in November 2016.

He said: “I was very surprised when a couple of days later I got the NIP [Notice of Intended Prosecution].

“I really could not believe that I had been speeding. It made a simple day out turn very sour actually.”

Mr Keedwell claimed he had “no case to answer” and recruited the help of a video and electronics expert who told the court the speed camera may have been triggered by a car in an adjacent lane or have been faulty.

However, he said it took four trips to Worcester Magistrates’ Court before his appeal was heard. After losing the case, he lost a further crown court appeal in August.

Mr Keedwell said he expected the case would be “fairly quick” but had spent “the best part of £30,000”, including about £21,000 in barristers’ fees and £7,000 in court costs, as well as travel expenses.

2 COMMENTS

Comments are closed.

TRENDING

Wife Of Murdered Businessman Recalls His Words After He was Shot

The wife of murdered Micoud Mon Repos businessman Andrew Joseph, spoke to HTS Evening News Monday night, hours before the shooting victim was pronounced...

Traffic Congestion In Castries To Be Eased

Press Release:-  Motorists navigating Castries should expect an ease in congestion in the coming year, as plans to prepare a traffic circulation plan aimed...

Communications Officer Denies PM On Campaign To Silence Richard Frederick

Press Release:- The Prime Minister’s senior communications officer Nicole Mc Donald has denied repeated allegations by the host of MBC’s ‘How Can I Help...

Mon Repos Businessman Succumbs After Shooting

Mon Repos businessman Andrew Joseph has succumbed to his injures at St Jude Hospital, sources close to the family have revealed. Joseph died Monday evening...