Police have slapped charges against the Secretary of the National Association of Driving Schools (NADS), Kinson Jean, a student driver and another driving instructor in connection with a road traffic controversy.
They will have their day in court on January 20, next year.
Jean said the charges under the traffic act were for driving without consideration for other road users.
But he asserted that the charges are frivolous and would not stand up in court.
The charges arose out of an incident Tuesday morning along the Castries Gros Islet Highway at Choc, where two slow moving driving school vehicles occupied both lanes resulting in a backlog of traffic.
But Jean declared that they were never obstructing traffic.
“The only time our vehicle stopped in the road to obstruct traffic was when a truck turned across the road right by M&C Home Depot, North-bound and blocked us,” the NADS Secretary recalled.
Jean said he was the driving instructor at the time and the student who was jointly charged with him was behind the wheel.
“Normally for you to charge the student, you must also charge the instructor,” he explained.
According to the NADS Secretary, the other driving instructor who was charged is Atron Montrope of Muss Pass Driving School who initially had a student with him, but at the time of the arrests had dropped off the student.
Jean denied that the pace at which the vehicles were being driven constituted a protest.
“It was not a protest, but it came about as a result of my frustration with the government and how long they are taking to see after my students’ needs and my concerns as an instructor,” he told St Lucia Times.
Last month driving instructors gathered outside the building housing the office of the Prime Minister on the Castries Waterfront, saying they got a notice from the Ministry of Infrastructure suspending theory and practical examinations with immediate effect.
They said the decision was taken without any consultation.