Prime Minister Allen Chastanet says although COVID-19 may have stopped the parade, it cannot kill ‘our spirit.’
Chastanet made the comments on his official Facebook page while observing that today would have been Carnival Monday in Saint Lucia.
According to the PM, 2019 was undeniably one of the most outstanding years for the Festival.
“It pains me to know that we cannot follow up with the success and high standard we enjoyed and established last year,” he stated.
The former Tourism Minister expressed the view that undoubtedly, this Carnival would have been the biggest and best ever experienced.
He observed that the demand for participation in bands, events and local accommodation was already record breaking back in January.
“I could just imagine the excitement and energy that the country would be abuzz with over the next few days,” Chastanet stated.
He recalled that over the last 4 years, Government’s increased investment in the festival has paid off with Dennery Segment music peaking interest internationally and cemented regionally, to new faces of young persons daringly contributing to the innovation and creativity seen at events off and on the road.
“Saint Lucia Carnival 2020 would have been Epic!” Chastanet declared.
“We are not discouraged. The passion, energy and love for the festival that we share as creators, players, musicians, artisans, party goers and spectators will unite and console us at this time,” the PM said.
“We know that today would have been special. Despite the disappointment we know that we will touch the road again and we will keep our word as a Nation to create a festival that is authentically Saint Lucian and highly sort after regionally and internationally. According to Lady Leen, It’s still a Beautiful Day, Nothing should spoil our day!” Chastanet concluded.