Prime Minister Allen Chastanet has urged his countrymen to keep the move team involved in the historic transition from Victoria Hospital to the Owen King European Union Hospital (OKEUH) in their prayers.
“As staff and patients gear up for the historic move from Victoria Hospital to the OKEU Hospital, citizens are asked to keep the move team in their prayers for the smooth and safe transitioning of all patients to the new facility,” Chastanet wrote Wednesday on his official Facebook page.
He expressed special Thanks to Harris Paints and Make it Happen Foundation for their assistance in providing a face lift of the outer staircase and front wall.
Commencing Wednesday, the Ministry of Health & Wellness began the full transition of Victoria Hospital to the Owen King EU Hospital.
The move will allow for the Victoria Hospital to be used as a dedicated Respiratory Hospital for the treatment and care of COVID-19 patients.
Deputy Permanent Secretary in the Department of Health and Wellness Jenny Daniel said this week that while not intending to take away from the serious focus of COVID-19, transitioning to a new hospital is a very rare occurrence.
“Citizens of this country will be part of a historic moment in this country’s national development,” Daniel asserted.
She urged all citizens to join in the effort to make the transition a reality.
In terms of clinical management services, the following will be in place:
- The Castries Wellness Center will be open from 8am-6pm from Monday, March 23, 2020 to Monday, March 30, 2020 except on Friday, March 27th, when it will be opened until 8pm; to manage non-emergency cases to facilitate the ramping down of services at the Victoria Hospital.
- The Gros Islet PolyClinic will remain open from 8am to midnight from Monday, March 23, 2020 to Monday, March 30, 2020, this includes the weekend. Lab, Xray and Pharmacy services will remain available at the Gros Islet Polyclinic.
- St. Jude Hospital will be assisting Victoria Hospital with management of emergency cases from Monday, March 23, 2020 to Sunday, March 29, 2020.
- To protect the public, patients and staff from Covid-19, which is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, the Victoria Hospital Management are encouraging that children below the age of ten (10) and adults above 60 years, to not visit the hospital during this time of Covid-19.
- Visiting hours will continue as is with the exception of the 5pm to 7pm which will be reduced from 2 hours to 1 hour (5pm to 6pm)
- Limit to 2 visitors to each admitted patient
- Visitors 10 years and below and 60 years and above, are kindly asked to not visit patients at VH