Saint Lucia police are investigating reports that two officers and a security guard brutalised a man last week.
Confirmation of the probe came Thursday from Assistant Commissioner of Police, George Nicholas, at a press briefing.
It followed claims made by Nasha Louis of Castries that the father of her children, Augustin Pelage, was assaulted by and had to undergo surgery for injury to his eye.
Up until Wednesday Louis said that Pelage was still in hospital.
ACP Nicholas told reporters that he was aware of reports circulating in the media and social media about police brutality.
He confirmed that a report was lodged with the Police Complaints Unit alleging that a security officer and two police officers in plain clothes assaulted a male individual.
“That matter, because of the fact that it involves a person who is not a police officer, I don’t think the Complaints Unit is the best place for that report to have been made, so that report would be transferred to the CID where a criminal investigation would ensue,” Nicholas explained.
He said it has not been confirmed whether two police officers were indeed involved and the alleged aggressors were aboard a police vehicle.
“The report was only made yesterday and we are still carrying out investigations to ascertain whether or not the two persons that were allegedly involved were indeed police officers and whether the vehicle involved was indeed a police vehicle,” the Assistant Commissioner of Police indicated.