Raise Your Voice Saint Lucia Inc is raising funds to establish a safe house for women and minor children who live in dangerous and volatile situations.
The organisation announced in a news release Monday that establishing the safe house is a goal for 2019.
Raise Your Voice Inc disclosed that it has launched a fundraising appeal at https://goto.gg/37895.
It encourages everyone who supports the group’s work to visit the project page and donate.
Raise Your Voice advocates on behalf of women and children who are victims of violence.
This includes rape, domestic violence, child physical and sexual abuse and lack of access to justice for vulnerable and marginalised people, the organisation said.
Raise Your Voice Saint Lucia Inc was created in February 2012.
The organisation revealed that apart from hosting activities which are designed to create public awareness and education of the citizenry, it has also engaged in activities which give back and provide ‘tangible assistance’.
According to Raise Your Voice, it has assisted over 1000 women, children, families and individuals who have been victims of violence, by providing counseling and welfare support.
The organisation said it has also:
- Secured a perpetual donation of medicines and medical supplies from AmeriCares, working in partnership with St. Jude’s Hospital and Ministry of Health for use at all public health facilities, to date over 27 Million EC worth of medicines and medical supplies has been donated;
- Presented a declaration to the Government of St. Lucia on International Women’s Day March 2016, to advocate for the enactment of the OECS Family Law Bills, two of those bills were pass this year, the most critical one the Domestic Violence Act remains in draft;
- Donated kitchen equipment to Uptown Gardens Girls Center to assist catering students attending the institution;
- Assisted the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force to establish the sexual assault crisis unit which was dissolved in 2017;
- Received a grant from 100 Women Who Cares St. Lucia to produce and air PSA’s to create public awareness on violence against women and children;
- Received a grant from the UK High Commission for a project entitled “Improving Service Delivery and Strengthening Institutional Response of Social Services Agencies in Saint Lucia” aimed at improving the quality of services provided to victims of gender based violence at public sector agencies;
- Received a Grant from the Canadian High Commission (Canadian Fund for Local Initiatives) to host 16 days of activism on gender based violence Nov 25-Dec 10, 2017.
- Collaboration with AmeriCares to support recovery efforts in Dominica, to date AmeriCares has committed to the rebuilding of 6 Health Centers and a medical depot for the people of Dominica at well over 1.6 million US.
“We are now finalizing our first public fundraiser – a gala fundraising masquerade ball on December 28th, 2018 at the Royalton Resorts, which we hope will assist us to continue supporting women and children who are victims of violence and marginalized and vulnerable persons,” Raise Your Voice stated.