Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Salvation Army Donations Drop Amidst ‘Tremendous Competition’

- Advertisement -

The Salvation Army is reporting a drop in charitable donations of cash this year, amidst what the organisation described as tremendous competition for funds.

However, Major Derrick Mitchell told St Lucia Times that Saint Lucians as usual responded in a very positive way.

“They have again supported the salvation army in assisting those persons who are less fortunate than ourselves for the 2018 period,” Mitchell explained.

He disclosed that although the final count has not been done, the response might have been better.

Nevertheless, the Salvation Army official said that the organization is grateful for what it received and has been able to meet all expenses associated with its Christmas programmes.

But Mitchell observed that some traditional donors who would contribute a certain sum, have in some cases halved their donations.

According to the Salvation Army official, the public response in dropping funds into the kettles was very good, but the mail appeal donations were down from last year.

Major Derrick Mitchell

“This year on the kettles there was a tremendous amount of competition because some of our traditional locations where we solicit funds like the Massy stores and other places, we see quite a number of organisations doing the same thing we are doing,” Mitchell noted.

“Some of them are registered, notable charities so kudos to them,” he told St Lucia Times.

But he observed that there were others that the Salvation Army has never heard of.

“The competition this year was tremendous,” Mitchell declared.

“It seems a number of other organisations are also into doing grocery hampers and treats and we have to commend them, those that are credible,” he told  St Lucia Times.

Mitchell also disclosed that this year, his organisation did not have as many people to work on the kettles which contributed to the drop in donations.

- Advertisement -

4 COMMENTS

  1. What exactly is the point being made here? Is there a monopoly being claimed here? I am aware that it previous years there were several persons who were actually in need who never even received anything from the SA. What happened then? Not sure what the story is here.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here