Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Sandals Drops Plan For Hotel In Tobago

Sandals Resorts International  (SRI) has announced that it will not be going forward with the construction of a 750-room Sandals and Beaches Resort in Tobago.

SRI said Tuesday that after careful consideration, it will unfortunately not be embarking on the project.

The Tobago Business Chamber expressed regret over the decision, expressing the hope that there could be some way of salvaging the deal.

Jamaica Observer quoted the Chamber as saying that it is convinced that with the billions of dollars of investment in construction, job creation, training, and service delivery attendant upon such projects, it is possible for the population of Tobago, as a whole, to benefit and develop and derive spin-offs from such developments.

Last year Trinidad and Tobago Finance Minister Colm Imbert  said the investment by Sandals would represent a major turning point for the economy of Tobago.

In announcing that the Tobago hotel project would no longer be going forward, Sandals thanked Prime Minister, Dr Keith Rowley and his Government for inviting  the resorts to explore the possibility of bringing the Sandals brand to the Island just over two years ago.

The company also noted the government’s ‘tremendous support throughout this process’.

‘While such a project was not in our original short-term plans, we have always found Tobago to be an amazing destination with tremendous potential, and we signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding with the Government to guide these discussions and explore the opportunity further,” Sandals said in a statement quoted by the Jamaica Observer.

 

TRENDING

Bandits Attack Twist Bar, Officer Relieved Of Weapon

Gunmen attacked Twist bar in Grand Riviere Tuesday night, robbing patrons and escaping with the cash register, eyewitnesses say. According to reports, one of the...

Wife Of Murdered Businessman Recalls His Words After He was Shot

The wife of murdered Micoud Mon Repos businessman Andrew Joseph, spoke to HTS Evening News Monday night, hours before the shooting victim was pronounced...

Communications Officer Denies PM On Campaign To Silence Richard Frederick

Press Release:- The Prime Minister’s senior communications officer Nicole Mc Donald has denied repeated allegations by the host of MBC’s ‘How Can I Help...

Traffic Congestion In Castries To Be Eased

Press Release:-  Motorists navigating Castries should expect an ease in congestion in the coming year, as plans to prepare a traffic circulation plan aimed...
Bandits Attack Twist BarRead
+ +