Six Saint Lucians were held Wednesday on suspicion of having entered this country illegally from neighbouring Martinique, police say.
A Marine Police vessel intercepted the six North West of Saint Lucia, according to the police.
Reports indicate that the police intercepted two vessels, one of which had a quantity of goods believed to have been obtained in Martinique.
All six men are to be taken to quarantine, law enforcement officials told St Lucia Times.
However one of the detainees is reported to have told police that he and four others left Saint Lucia in their vessel in response to a distress call from a friend in the second boat, which had encountered problems.
All six detainees are reported to be from Ciceron.
On Sunday, Prime Minister Allen Chastanet told the nation he was convinced that this country’s 29th COVID-19 case was the result of an infection transmitted by someone who had entered Saint Lucia illegally.
Chastanet warned his countrymen that the threat of COVID-19 is real.
The Ministry of Health confirmed that Saint Lucia’s latest COVID-19 victim is a Castries to Vieux Fort (2H Route) bus driver.
The case has raised fears of a possible community spread of the disease, prompting the quarantine of some 50 individuals.
The Ministry of Health has also disclosed that some 500 people have been ‘reviewed’.
Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Sharon Belmar-George, said this week that the list of people included close contacts, mini bus drivers, commuters from the bus route and residents from the community.
She revealed that 283 tests have been done and the results received so far are negative.
Local authorities have said that illegal entry by individuals into Saint Lucia is a major threat in this country’s fight against the spread of COVID-19 and have urged citizens to report people who enter through the back door to the police.