Press Release:– A Saint Lucia Labour Party Government will put the interest and well-being of the people of Saint Lucia at the centre of its economic policy.
That was the message from the Political Leader of the Party and Leader of the Opposition, Hon. Philip J Pierre, in his address at Annual Conference of the Party held virtually on the 15th of last month.
Speaking on the country’s economy which he said had been afflicted by the misplaced priorities and wasteful expenditure of the UWP Government, Pierre stressed that the Party recognized that the management of the economy during COVID-19 “will call for fiscal discipline, transparency and accountability,” and he pledged that” when in Government, we will certainly uphold these principles”.
Adding that “in providing for the sustenance and improvement of livelihoods, the protection
of the poor and marginalized will be given the highest priority”.
He outlined an eight point strategy that a Labour Party Government will seek to implement to accomplish this economic goals.
1. Re-purpose and where possible re-negotiate existing loans
2. Make use of available fiscal space for targeted borrowing.
3. Revise the scale and scope of Hewanorra International Airport Redevelopment Project;
4. Ensure transparency and accountability in the awarding of contracts;
5. Enter into meaningful dialogue with Economic Sectors on the use of borrowed funds.
6. We will explore new opportunities in the green, blue and grey economy
7. Credit Unions and Co-operatives will be facilitated to play a more central role in the
financial and economic development of our country.
8. We will take measures to improve the business environment and create an enabling
environment for foreign direct investment, and the growth of indigenous large and small