Former Saint Lucia Prime Minister, Doctor Kenny Anthony, says it appears that the St Jude Hospital site is now a “high security” area.
Anthony made the comments in a post on the official website of the opposition Saint Lucia Labour Party (SLP).
“Believe it or not, no one is allowed to take any footage unless permission is expressly given by Guy Joseph, Minister of Economic Development. Cameras are not allowed. Don’t even try to go in with a knapsack,” the former PM stated.
The Vieux Fort South MP disclosed that to ensure these restrictions are enforced, the Government has appointed its own security personnel to guard the site.
“Mind you, the construction is said to be managed by the Taiwanese under a “Finance and Build Arrangement.” The Taiwanese of course, are supplied with the sub-contractors,” Anthony observed.
“It would be interesting to find out whether the Development Control Authority granted permission to demolish the so-called “two of the smaller” buildings said to be “problematic” and not “structurally sound to remain,” he stated in the Facebook post on Sunday.
Government sources who spoke to St Lucia Times said that it was normal in Saint Lucia and elsewhere to control access to construction sites.
“Because of the heavy equipment, steel and the high level of traffic in and out of the site it is necessary to maintain security both from a liability and a safety perspective,” one official explained.
The official said the former PM’s assertion about Economic Development Minister, Guy Joseph, amounted to absolute nonsense.
Just last week Prime Minister Allen Chastanet described the construction of St Jude Hospital as one of the most important projects in the history of this country.
The initiative will deliver a 90-bed facility that will cater for both inpatient and outpatient services.