The Trinidad and Tobago has confirmed its first confirmed case of the COVID-19 Variant of Concern (UK) – Variant B117.
The Ministry of Health made the announcement in a press release on Thursday.
According to the release, the patient is a returned national who travelled from the United Kingdom.
It disclosed that as per existing quarantine protocols, the national provided a negative PCR test.
The test was taken 72-hours prior to departure from the United Kingdom.
The Ministry of Health said on arrival in Trinidad and Tobago, the national was immediately placed in state quarantine, in a single room.
It said the patient was transferred directly to an isolation area at the Couva Hospital and Multi-training Facility once the positive COVID-19 result was confirmed.
The release noted that the presence of the variant was confirmed via a gene sequencing study.
It was done at the Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of the West Indies.
The institution has been testing COVID-19 positive samples collected since September 2020.
The press release reminded the public that previously, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago updated its quarantine protocols for retuning nationals from the United Kingdom from 7 days to 14 days state quarantine.
This protocol will continue to be implemented and returning nationals from all other high-risk countries will be subject to 7 days state quarantine and 7 days home quarantine, it said.
The release said research suggests the COVID-19 variant spreads more easily.
As a result, it observed that it’s more important for people to take protective measures.
Headline stock image courtesy Mufid Majnun