The two deceased in the early morning Castries fire have been identified by relatives.
The deceased female was identified as Julia Wilkinson while the male was identified only as ‘Bobolin‘ Sylvester.
According to information, Wilkinson was in her seventies while ‘Bobolin’ is believed to have been in his fifties.
Both perished when fire swept through a wooden building at Trou Rouge, Castries, Saturday morning.
Rebecca William, the niece of the dead woman, recalled waking up to screams.
William, who lives near the house that was destroyed by fire, told St Lucia Times that when she went outside she saw blazing fire.
“I notice that my Auntie was trapped inside – here was nothing that could be done for her because the fire was so extreme,” she lamented.
Another female relative who spoke on condition of anonymity explained that she was alerted by the loud screams of her aunt’s friend.
“When I came outside I asked her what was wrong but she could not answer because she was so traumatised,” the relative, whom we will refer to as Rihanna, explained.
Rihanna told St Lucia Times that she called the Saint Lucia Fire Service.
“During that time there was the big festivity – fireworks for independence and all that happening so it did not bring a lot of attention to the fire,” she recalled.
A Castries resident recorded both the fire and the fireworks display and posted the video on social media.
Rihanna said it appeared that a lighted lamp that was resting near the ceiling may have caused the blaze.
“MY aunt (Wilkinson) was inside – she is not entirely mobile, so my cousin ran into the house trying to save her. She is very heavy. She is not completely mobile and the house was very small so it’s not easy to get in and out as you could imaging with all the smoke and fire,” she recalled.
Rihanna said the cousin grabbed Wilkinson but found the exit blocked by chairs and tables in his way.
She disclosed that the cousin cried out to another female relative to assist.
“She came in and got stuck as well, so three of them were inside the same apartment,” Rihanna observed.
She recalled that the cousin and the female relative had to put down Wilkinson and push the furniture that was blocking their path out of the way.
“By the time they did that they had inhaled so much smoke that they had to just get out of there to get some air. I think his hair even started burning at that point. My aunt was not completely mobile and couldn’t really help herself was left in the house. It is extremely sad,” Rihanna said.
She said the other person who perished in the fire, whose nickname is ‘Bobolin’, was the boyfriend of another aunt of hers.
Rihanna explained that four individuals lived in the wooden house that was destroyed, her aunt, her husband who was at the time of the fire away at work, another aunt and her boyfriend.
“The persons who died were my aunt – Julia Williams and my second aunt’s boyfriend ‘Bobolin’,” she told St Lucia Times.
“He is very strong and full of energy. I don’t know what happened that he couldn’t save himself,” Rihanna stated.