Two Die After Pigeon Droppings Infections At Glasgow Hospital

Two patients have died after contracting a fungal infection linked to pigeon droppings at a Glasgow hospital, Sky News has reported.

According to Sky News, Health officials are investigating the death of one patient at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, with the cause still to be determined.

The second patient affected by the infection – who was elderly – died of an unrelated matter, the news organisation reported.

Officials immediately put in place control measures at the hospital after the two cases of cryptococcus were detected.

The infection is caused by inhaling the fungus cryptococcus, primarily found in soil and pigeon droppings.

A likely source was found in an area not open to the public and the droppings were removed, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGCC) said.

2 COMMENTS

Comments are closed.