Wednesday, February 19, 2020

US Announces First Case Of New China Coronavirus

SourceBBC

BBC News:- The United States has confirmed the first case of the new coronavirus on its territory.

The Centers for Disease Control said the virus, which originated in China, had been diagnosed in a traveller who arrived in Seattle from China.

The virus, which spread from the Chinese city of Wuhan, has infected almost 300 people, and six have died.

North Korea has temporarily closed its borders to foreign tourists in response to the threat, a tour operator says.

The patient diagnosed in the US returned from Wuhan on 15 January, the CDC said.

“The patient sought care at a medical facility in the state of Washington, where the patient was treated for the illness,” it added in a statement.

“Based on the patient’s travel history and symptoms, healthcare professionals suspected this new coronavirus.”

Laboratory testing of a clinical specimen confirmed the diagnosis on 20 January, the CDC statement continued.

The announcement that North Korea was barring entry to foreign tourists came from Young Pioneer Tours, which is based in China and specialises in travel to North Korea.

The company said in a statement that North Korea was implementing a temporary ban as a precaution.

“Further details are yet to be confirmed by our travel partners in North Korea and we will continue to make all future announcements on our website,” Young Pioneer Tours said.

Another tour group that travels to North Korea, Koryo Tours, also tweeted about “possible limits to tourist entry”.

Some experts have previously warned that international sanctions on North Korea had hit the country’s healthcare system, by restricting the delivery of aid and medical equipment.

Last November, US doctor Kee B Park wrote in USA Today: “I have seen how the North Korean doctors have adapted to scarcity. For example, they reuse intravenous catheters, scalpels, gauze and gloves by meticulously cleaning and re-sterilising them – until they become unusable.”

Earlier on Monday, Chinese officials confirmed for the first time that the virus could pass from person to person.

At the same time Chinese state media said six people had died from the infection, which causes a type of pneumonia.

A total of 291 cases have now been reported across major cities in China, including Beijing and Shanghai. However, most are in Wuhan, the central city of 11 million people at the heart of the outbreak.

The disease was first identified there late last year, and the outbreak is believed to be linked to a seafood market that also sells live animals.

Aside from the United States, two cases have been identified in Thailand, one in Japan, one in South Korea and one in Taiwan. All those infected had recently returned from Wuhan.

2 COMMENTS

  1. With all the Chinese coming here whole chou nou fun.. and we eh even have hospital . Poor people will dead for sure.

Leave a Comment

TRENDING

One Man Dead In Odsan Shooting

One man is reported dead as a result of a Tuesday afternoon shooting at Odsan, eyewitnesses say. According to information obtained by St Lucia Times,...

Missing 90 Year Old Found Alive In Drain

A missing 90 year old woman from Bonne Terre has been found alive in a drain in the North of the Island, persons in...

Soufriere Family Upset Over ‘Sex Interview’ With Mentally Ill Woman

A Soufriere family has expressed disgust over what has been described as a 'sex interview' in which a mentally ill woman talks about a...

Police Await Formal Identification Of Deceased In Odsan Shooting

Press Release:- About 1:30 p.m. today, Tuesday, February 18, 2020, the Criminal Investigations Department responded to a reported of a shooting involving a male...
%d bloggers like this: