COVID-19 STATISTICS:

6,415,247
Confirmed cases
Updated on June 2, 2020 12:26 pm
378,651
Deaths
Updated on June 2, 2020 12:26 pm
2,732,535
Recovered
Updated on June 2, 2020 12:26 pm

US Official Says No Protected Status For People Fleeing The Bahamas

A senior official in the administration of President Donald Trump has been quoted by CBS News as saying that the US will not be granting protected status to people fleeing hurricane destruction in Bahamas.

It’s something the Trump administration had said was a possibility, as the White House seeks to restrict the flow of immigrants into the country.

Some persons are permitted to live and work in the United States under a program known as Temporary Protected Status (TPS).

It is estimated that some 300,000 have qualified after fleeing their countries because of war, hurricanes, earthquakes or other conditions that make life dangerous in their native countries.

According to NBC News the status would have allowed Bahamians to work and live in the U.S. until it is deemed safe to return home.

Bahamians will be permitted to enter the United States temporarily if they have the correct travel documents, but will not be granted work permits, it was reported.

“The Bahamians impacted by Hurricane Dorian are facing a humanitarian crisis and the American government, international partners and private organizations continue to support them with aid and services,” an unnamed White House official told CBS News.

The comments came Saturday as a new potential storm lurks near the Bahamas.

The Nassau Guardian is reporting that Abaco, the Berry Islands, Bimini, Eleuthera, Grand Bahama and New Providence are all under a tropical storm warning after it was announced that an area of disturbance in the central Bahamas is expected to develop.

It will earn the name Humberto if it does attain tropical storm status.

The Bahamas is still recovering from the ravages of Hurricane Dorian.

The death toll is now listed at 50 and the number of those reported missing had been revised from 2, 500 to 1,300 local media said this week.

As of Monday, 1,500 victims of Dorian had come to the U.S. after the hurricane swept through the Bahamas, according to NBC News.

 

6 COMMENTS

  1. I agree fully I would say they were allways more American than Bahamian they could travel to the USA every day if they felt like it.They still are so proud to have that kind of status.I guess it just takes a storm to change the mind sets.

  2. Bible in a Year
    September 14
    New Testament Verse of the Day:
    After this, I heard what sounded like a vast crowd in heaven shouting, “Praise the LORD! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God.”
    –Revelation 19:1

  3. To manny living in the Bahamas were foreigners with out pappers.No documents no travel sorry

  4. In this day and age you telling people you killing them,and you aunt saying you running away because you’re a coward! Not everyone takes those threats for a joke.Oh well,i guess it’s too late for him to learn that now!

  5. Lil boy like drt….aunty talking about she eeh know nothing….if url only knew wat the yutes doing ….is not drt u will come n say……the streets either get u killed….or in jail….***** is not jusso ppl killing ppl…n to make it worst not to say he was with a good of ppl at the moment….. Is him they wanted….now RIP mr. Kodax smfh…..url deh like dem man doesn’t burst ppl chain n move…****…….doe act like url erh know de streets…..im only 17 same age with him….****

Comments are closed.

Trending

School Reopens This Week For Grade 6, Form 5 Students

Press Release:-  Having concluded several consultations with stakeholders, the Department of Education, Innovation and Gender Relations wishes to inform of the RE-OPENING OF SCHOOL...

Saint Lucians Warned To Brace For More Active Hurricane Season

Press Release:- Officials from the Saint Lucia Meteorological Services and the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) recently appeared on the National Television Network (NTN) where...

Ministry Of Tourism Denies Plans to De-Register Taxi Operators

The Ministry of Tourism has denied plans to de-register taxi operators. The de-registration claims were made in a voice note posted on social media. It quoted ...

WASCO Says No Plans To Disconnect Customers

The Water and Sewerage Company Inc (WASCO) has reiterated that the utility ‘until further notice’, has no plans to disconnect customers. WASCO’s Communications and Marketing...

st lucia news online. st lucia news. 

Share
Tweet
Email
WhatsApp
%d bloggers like this: