COVID-19 STATISTICS:

6,403,001
Confirmed cases
Updated on June 2, 2020 9:26 am
378,112
Deaths
Updated on June 2, 2020 9:26 am
2,726,444
Recovered
Updated on June 2, 2020 9:26 am

Ventilators Destined For Barbados From US Seized

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) –  Health Minister Lieutenant Colonel Jeffrey Bostic has sought to assure the country that there is no shortage of ventilators despite the fact that a shipment of ventilators destined for the island from the United States were recently seized.

Bostic, who was speaking during a press conference here on Sunday revealed that the ventilators donated to the Barbados Government as an act of philanthropy were barred from exportation.

“They were seized in the United States. Paid for, but seized, so we are trying to see exactly what is going to transpire there.”

The Health Minister added that ventilators are one of the most in-demand items in the world today and “Barbados is merely wrestling with the other 203 countries and territories around the world seeking to secure as many of these pieces of equipment as possible.”

He said that Barbados born international pop sensation Rihanna donated some ventilators but these were not among those seized and will arrive in the island shortly.

Bostic also reacted to a comment made by leader of the main opposition, Democratic Labour Party (DLP),  Verla DePeiza, on the weekend concerning the supply of ventilators.

He disclosed that over 150 ventilators had been ordered and paid for from more than five different sources through five different sources and stressed that Prime Minister Mottley had made an “open cheque” available for the purchase of such critical supplies.

“So it is absurd for anyone to say, suggest, imply or insinuate that there is a shortage or could in the foreseeable future be an acute shortage of ventilators on the island.”

“We have an adequate amount of ventilators at this point and ventilators have been arriving almost daily over the past two weeks or so. But up to this point, we have only had to use three ventilators,” he said.

6 COMMENTS

  1. Well Barbados you see those Jamaicans you have been locking up and bashing they got skills. Go to YouTube Jamaicans Builds Emergency Ventilators &3D Face Shields. Amazing that’s why I don’t bash anyone those same people will turn around and make you look like fools.

      • I know Canada Germany and a couple other countries were seized. Barbados health minister is now saying, that his assertive statement is now not true. His new statement came after speaking to the US embassy. They are placing the blame on a “shipping error.” Yeah! right!
        Sometimes the American government make countries see “the error in their ways.” In West Indian language, the health minister had to eat his pooh-pooh.

  2. Highgrade stay out of other countries affairs, let bajans and Jamaican people handle their problems. Your assumption maybe incorrect.

  3. Just remember though caricom. We are in some ways one economy. Brothers in arms is the vibe trying to be created here. Segregated minds never begets progression. God forbid if covid 19 was to get bad in one of the countries. Would you rather the ventilators come from the halfway across the world. Or from a neighboring country?

Leave a Comment

Trending

School Reopens This Week For Grade 6, Form 5 Students

Press Release:-  Having concluded several consultations with stakeholders, the Department of Education, Innovation and Gender Relations wishes to inform of the RE-OPENING OF SCHOOL...

Saint Lucians Warned To Brace For More Active Hurricane Season

Press Release:- Officials from the Saint Lucia Meteorological Services and the National Emergency Management Organization (NEMO) recently appeared on the National Television Network (NTN) where...

Antigua airport to open on June 1; airport storeowners not optimistic

Antigua Observer: Business operators inside the VC Bird International Airport (VCBIA) are expressing doubts over their market prospects, ahead of a resumption in commercial...

Ministry Of Tourism Denies Plans to De-Register Taxi Operators

The Ministry of Tourism has denied plans to de-register taxi operators. The de-registration claims were made in a voice note posted on social media. It quoted ...

st lucia news online. st lucia news. 

19 Shares
Share19
Tweet
Email
WhatsApp
%d bloggers like this: