Vieux Fort bus drivers Wednesday ended a strike over the arrest of a colleague, following a meeting with Police Commissioner, Severin Moncherry.
Moncherry had informed the drivers that he would not meet with them under duress and advised that they return to work.
The President of the Southern Minibus Association, Phillip Jn Baptiste, told St Lucia Times that after the two-hour standoff Wednesday afternoon, the Police Chief gave the assurance that Gilbert Edward, the driver who had been arrested, would be released pending investigations.
Jn Baptiste said the drivers then went back to work, but about 8:20 pm he realised that Edward has not been released.
He said after a delegation from the minibus association visited custody suites, documents were signed in the presence of a Justice of the Peace and three charges were read to Edward before he was released.
Jn Baptiste disclosed that the charges were grievous harm, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest.
“We got out and I decided that the strike was off,” the Southern Minibus Association President recalled.
“But we had already said that come 9 O’ clock and he was still in custody, I don’t care whether the Commissioner had given his word or not, we would not have been working all now,” Jn Baptiste declared in the Thursday morning interview with St Lucia Times.
He explained that the colleagues of the bus driver who was arrested are awaiting his day in court come November 25, 2019.
Jn Baptiste said bus drivers will be out in full force for the court appearance.
He praised the Police Commissioner who he said had been ‘active’ throughout the process.