A young woman whose picture has been circulating on social media as the mother of the baby who was abandoned at Morne du Don last week has come forward to the authorities.
The Director of the Division of Human Services, Beverley Ann Poyotte made the announcement in a statement Friday.
“She has come forward to the Division and the police – interviews and assessments have been conducted with her to determine whether she is the mother,” Poyotte disclosed.
According to the Director of the Division of Human Services, preliminary investigations indicate that the young female may not be the mother.
However, Poyotte explained that ‘more conclusive analysis’ is being done.
She said the young lady is being provided with psycho-social treatment, as the posting of her picture and the negative comments which have been made are causing some anxiety and potential trauma.
Poyotte asserted that if not addressed, the situation can lead to further psycho-social deterioration.
“The Division would therefore like to urge the public to desist from circulating inaccurate information, as these actions contribute to the negative impact on a person’s mental health,” she stated.
The abandoned baby whom residents of Morne Du Don rescued last week is now in the temporary care of a family.
Poyotte said the family will provide the baby with the love, care and attention necessary.
On May 15, 2020, a passerby heard the abandoned newborn crying and upon investigating, found the child in a shopping bag.
An ambulance took the infant to the Owen King European Union Hospital (OKEUH) a short time afterwards.
The Director of the Division of Human Services disclosed that medical officials attended to the baby and completed all clinical assessments.
“Baby is healthy and thriving. He is feeding well and behaving in a manner which is in keeping with his age. His date of birth has been determined as May 15, 2020,” Poyotte said.