Weekend Edition

stluciatimes, caribbean, caribbeannews, stlucia, saintlucia, stlucianews, saintlucianews, stluciatimesnews, saintluciatimes, stlucianewsonline, saintlucianewsonline, st lucia news online, stlucia news online, loop news, loopnewsbarbados

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.

Saint Lucia lose to USVI in Davis Cup

Saint Lucia opened play in Davis Cup Americas Group IV on Tuesday at the National Racquet Sports Centre in Tacarigua, Trinidad & Tobago. In just their second year back in the international competition, the St Lucians started with a 2-1 loss to the United States Virgin Islands. It was just their third loss to the USVI in eight ties since 1998.

The matchup was pushed indoors, thanks to heavy morning rain. Saint Lucia came in with a positive mindset after weeks of intense training.

That preparation and planning showed early. Jordan Hunte rushed to a solid lead against Yarel Alfred, but he was unable to hold on. Up 4-1 in the first set, Hunte would go on to lose 7-6 (7-4). Alfred seized the momentum and ran away with the second set, 6-2.

Jan Neuburger Higby clinched the deal for the Virgin Islanders, beating Akeem Gustave 6-0, 6-1 in the second singles fixture.

Alfred and Neuburger Higby dominated the doubles against Kevin Deligny and Maxx William, winning 6-2, 6-3 in just about 60 minutes.

Saint Lucia had beaten the USVI in their four most recent ties before last year. From 2000 to 2006, the last year Saint Lucia played Davis Cup before returning in 2024, Saint Lucia dropped just one of 12 matches against USVI.

USVI also beat them last year.

Saint Lucia are now bottom of Pool A, with matches to come against top-seeded Guatemala, hosts Trinidad & Tobago, and Haiti. There are 10 teams in two pools vying for two promotion places to Group III.

Any third-party or user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries published on the St. Lucia Times website (https://stluciatimes.com) in no way convey the thoughts, sentiments or intents of St. Lucia Times, the author of any said article or post, the website, or the business. St. Lucia Times is not responsible or liable for, and does not endorse, any comments or replies posted by users and third parties, and especially the content therein and whether it is accurate. St. Lucia Times reserves the right to remove, screen, edit, or reinstate content posted by third parties on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times (this includes the said user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries) at our sole discretion for any reason or no reason, and without notice to you, or any user. For example, we may remove a comment or reply if we believe it violates any part of the St. Lucia Criminal Code, particularly section 313 which pertains to the offence of Libel. Except as required by law, we have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times. All third-parties and users agree that this is a public forum, and we do not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website. Any posts made and information disclosed by you is at your own risk.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.

Share via
Send this to a friend