Weekend Edition

stluciatimes, caribbean, caribbeannews, stlucia, saintlucia, stlucianews, saintlucianews, stluciatimesnews, saintluciatimes, stlucianewsonline, saintlucianewsonline, st lucia news online, stlucia news online, loop news, loopnewsbarbados

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.

Saint Lucia’s Winning Streak Continues in ECCB Netball

Saint Lucia’s Piton Sparks got their third win in a row on Tuesday evening at the fifth Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB) International Netball Series. Saint Lucia handed Antigua & Barbuda their first loss, 45-33, after the Antiguans had rattled off consecutive wins over Anguilla, Montserrat and Guyana. 

 

With the tournament into its fourth day at the Tanteen Netball Facility in St George’s, Grenada, the score flattered the Sparks, who never really pulled away from Antigua & Barbuda until the final quarter. After the first period, Saint Lucia led 10-7. And although the Wadagli girls pulled within one, the Sparks led 18-14 at halftime. It was 32-25 at the end of three, but a 13-8 final frame gave Saint Lucia a 12-goal triumph. 

 

Jo-Ann Anderson led the way for Saint Lucia, with 16 goals from 19 shots, 84% shooting. Melika Destang hit 15-24, a significant drop-off in efficiency for her. She had previously shot better than 80% across two games, but hit just 62.5% against Antigua & Barbuda. Player-coach Shem Maxwell converted 14 of 19 shots (73.7%) on goal. Semaj Marguerite was not used as a shooter.

 

After Tuesday’s action, there are just three teams unbeaten in the competition. The others are defending champions St Vincent & the Grenadines and Barbados. On Tuesday, the title holders beat Dominica 57-40, Barbados trounced Anguilla 65-27, the Cayman Islands demolished Montserrat 71-10 for their first win, and hosts Grenada beat Guyana 69-16.

 

On Wednesday, Saint Lucia have what should be a winnable fixture against Anguilla, whose only victory so far was against Guyana. Barbados will take on St Vincent & the Grenadines in a game that should go some way towards deciding the final destination of the Gloria Ballantyne Trophy.

Any third-party or user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries published on the St. Lucia Times website (https://stluciatimes.com) in no way convey the thoughts, sentiments or intents of St. Lucia Times, the author of any said article or post, the website, or the business. St. Lucia Times is not responsible or liable for, and does not endorse, any comments or replies posted by users and third parties, and especially the content therein and whether it is accurate. St. Lucia Times reserves the right to remove, screen, edit, or reinstate content posted by third parties on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times (this includes the said user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries) at our sole discretion for any reason or no reason, and without notice to you, or any user. For example, we may remove a comment or reply if we believe it violates any part of the St. Lucia Criminal Code, particularly section 313 which pertains to the offence of Libel. Except as required by law, we have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times. All third-parties and users agree that this is a public forum, and we do not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website. Any posts made and information disclosed by you is at your own risk.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.

Share via
Send this to a friend