During Monday’s Cabinet press briefing, Health Minister Moses Jn Baptiste said the full commissioning of the rebuilt St Jude Hospital, initially expected to be completed by the end of July, will not meet that deadline.
Jn Baptiste said work at the site is still ongoing.
“We are coming to the end of July, and we have not completely transitioned the hospital,” Jn Baptiste stated. “The commissioning team will obviously require a few more weeks, but they are working feverishly and safely to ensure that we cause there to be a safe environment at the St Jude Hospital.”
Jn Baptiste attributed the delay to the need for “more detailed examination” of certain areas.
At the site, a commissioning team is currently working with relevant professionals to ensure that the critical building services, HVAC systems, medical gas services, equipment and safe-use controls, ICT laboratory and digital systems, and radiology safety pathways are all fully operational and safe before the hospital is fully commissioned.
The minister also said the hospital needs 721 staff to run fully at its new Augier, Vieux Fort location. However, only 471 had started work so far, with plans underway to deploy the remaining personnel.
Jn Baptiste said the government intends to fully open the hospital only after all safety and operational requirements, including staffing needs, have been met.
“…Our aim is to give the people of Saint Lucia the best and safest hospital environment,” he told reporters.
Commissioning at St Jude continues in phases, with the physiotherapy unit, kitchen and food services, and laundry services already up and running.
The Dialysis Services Department was commissioned on Tuesday, July 28.

The minister did not give a new date for when the hospital will fully open.




It’s unfortunate because this is not what was conveyed to us when you guys was seeking our votes during the election time and now you have the audacity to announce this awful news three days before the deadline you guys are unbelievable
Wait! I distinctly remember seeing headlines of the hospital’s open in December. What gives?
Ahwar musa, that ain’t go work. Thought the hospital was opened already
Eh. Am I the only one who thought that hospital was up and operational already, with all the Ts crossed and the Is dotted. What mahzhee is that I just read there.
Stewps ton
@Bones July 28, 2026 At 6:31 pm You people must suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. Why you are believing anything coming out of the mouth of a politician especially during election time.
Awah at the comments….maysiay Google can be your best friends you know! It doesn’t take much to google the difference between handover, commissioning and opening. I do appreciate the transparency with the updates for the health minister though even if the optics are horrible!