stluciatimes, caribbean, caribbeannews, stlucia, saintlucia, stlucianews, saintlucianews, stluciatimesnews, saintluciatimes, stlucianewsonline, saintlucianewsonline, st lucia news online, stlucia news online, loop news, loopnewsbarbados

Criminal allegations against Richard Frederick unproven, police say

Police Commissioner Verne Garde says the investigation into criminal allegations involving government minister Richard Frederick is finished, and investigators could not prove the claims.

Garde provided this update at a police press conference on Wednesday. He confirmed that he reviewed the investigation’s findings and agreed with the investigating officer’s recommendation.

“An allegation was made. We looked into the particular allegation, and the allegation was not sustained,” Garde said.

In this context, “not sustained” means the investigation did not find enough evidence to support the allegation.

The investigation began after Frederick’s arrest, which became public when St Lucia Times asked Garde at a July 2 press conference about reports of a senior government official’s arrest.

The police chief had previously not named the official. This time, he identified Frederick directly while giving the update.

“A senior government official, right, in the person of Mr Richard Frederick, was arrested on that particular day,” Garde said. “I did give instructions for the matter to be continually investigated so that we could get all the facts in the matter.”

Those instructions led to an investigation that Garde described as complicated and extensive.

At first, police did not have a statement from the people who made the report. Garde said they worked hard to get one, including having an officer travel outside Saint Lucia.

“We expended all the resources within our unit to try to secure the statement, which we did. Actually, the investigative officer had to do some overseas travel to try to secure the statement.”

After getting the statement, police continued their investigation.

“We did follow-up investigations in regards to the allegations,” Garde said. “Based on all of the investigations which we did, which is quite voluminous, we were not able to sustain the allegation.”

However, the exact nature of the allegation against Frederick has not been made public.

When pressed on Wednesday about both the nature of the allegation and the investigating officer’s recommendation, Garde said he was constrained in what he could reveal.

“I am not in a position to say what the allegation is,” he said. He explained that the Criminal Code requires police to be careful about what information is shared publicly during criminal cases.

Garde also stressed that this outcome should not stop anyone from coming to the police with a complaint.

“As long as somebody feels that their rights have been infringed, we are obligated to assist them,” he said.

Any third-party or user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries published on the St. Lucia Times website (https://stluciatimes.com) in no way convey the thoughts, sentiments or intents of St. Lucia Times, the author of any said article or post, the website, or the business. St. Lucia Times is not responsible or liable for, and does not endorse, any comments or replies posted by users and third parties, and especially the content therein and whether it is accurate. St. Lucia Times reserves the right to remove, screen, edit, or reinstate content posted by third parties on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times (this includes the said user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries) at our sole discretion for any reason or no reason, and without notice to you, or any user. For example, we may remove a comment or reply if we believe it violates any part of the St. Lucia Criminal Code, particularly section 313 which pertains to the offence of Libel. Except as required by law, we have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times. All third-parties and users agree that this is a public forum, and we do not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website. Any posts made and information disclosed by you is at your own risk.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING

820
Water

Have you been affected by recent water disruptions?

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.