The Traffic Department initiated investigations into fatal road collisions that took place earlier in 2023. These separate incidents resulted in the tragic loss of four lives:
- Peter St. Juste of Bocage, Castries.
- Lucus Lesporis of Marc Bexon.
- Joel Nelson of Morne Fortune, Castries.
- Ericka Franklyn of Darling Road, Castries.
Investigations into these matters have resulted in the gathering of probative evidence that substantiate charges of Causing Death by Dangerous Driving. As a result, the vehicle operators involved in these tragic collisions have been charged:
- Twenty-nine  year-old Solomon Clarke of Rose Hill, Castries, was formally Charged for Causing the Death of Peter St Juste by Dangerous Driving, including the following Offences: Taking Motor Vehicle without the Consent of the owner and Driving without insurance. This collision occurred on Saturday, February 18, 2023. He was presented before a Magistrate’s Court, where bail was set at:
- Six thousand [XCD6000.00] dollars cash or suitable surety for Causing Death by Dangerous Driving.
- One thousand [XCD1000.00] dollars cash or suitable surety each, for Driving without Insurance, and Taking Motor Vehicle without the Consent of the Owner.
- Forty-seven  year-old Irvin Changoo of Bexon, Castries, was charged with Causing the Death of Lucus Lesporis by Dangerous Driving. This collision occurred on the Sunday March 5, 2023 on the Bexon Highway. Irvin Changoo subsequently received bail by the Magistrate’s Court in the sum of eight thousand [XCD8000.00] dollars, cash or suitable surety.
- Forty  year-old Melanius Mason of Cedar Heights, Vieux-Fort, was charged with the offence of Causing the Death of Joel Nelson by Dangerous Driving. This collision occurred on Monday April 24, 2023 along the Bexon Main Road. The Magistrate’s Court set bail in the sum of five thousand [XCD5000.00] dollars cash or suitable surety.
- Sixty-one  year-old Paul Jn Baptiste of Marisule Gros-Islet, was charged with the offence of Causing the Death of Ericka Franklyn. This collision occurred on Sunday, April 30, 2023 at Barnad Hill, Castries. He was presented before the Magistrate’s Court for bail, which was set at fifty thousand [XCD50000.00] dollars, cash or suitable surety.
Road usage benefits every citizen, as roads connect us and facilitate our commutes and leisure activities. Therefore, drivers and vehicle owners, it is crucial that you operate your vehicle within the parameters outlined by our laws.
Failure to do so may lead to conflicts with law enforcement and could potentially result in tragic consequences for you or other road users.
The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force urges everyone to prioritize safety and use our roads responsibly.
SOURCE: Royal Saint Lucia Police Force