Please be informed that Cabinet by Conclusion No. 818 of 2023 dated Oct. 9, 2023 has approved the granting of concessions on barrels in accordance with the following terms and conditions:
- A 100 percent (100%) waiver of Customs duties on personal items, food, clothing, toys and other household consumables contained in barrels imported during the period Nov. 1, 2023 to Feb. 28, 2024. Electronic items are explicity excluded
- The number of barrels that would qualify for the concessions would be limited to two (2) per household
- There would be an upper limit of $3000 per barrel on the value of items qualifying for the concessions
- The items identified in Clause No. I must be for perosnal use only and not for commercial use, and
- The usual penalties, fines, etc. would be applied if the goods are used for commercial purposes.
- Barrels/packages should not be opened in the absence of the Customs Officer.
Cabinet further approved the transmission of the appropriate legal instruments to Parliament to declare barrels imported during the period Nov. 1, 2023 to Feb. 28, 2024 exempt from the Health and Citizen Security Levy and Value Added Tax (VAT).
Kindly note that items that qualify for this concession will attract Customs service charge at the rate of six percent (6%).
SOURCE: Customs & Excise Department