stluciatimes, caribbean, caribbeannews, stlucia, saintlucia, stlucianews, saintlucianews, stluciatimesnews, saintluciatimes, stlucianewsonline, saintlucianewsonline, st lucia news online, stlucia news online, loop news, loopnewsbarbados

Government ministers react to St Omer’s murder

The killing of 24-year-old Joy St Omer, allegedly by her estranged husband, has prompted reactions from several government ministers, with the minister responsible for crime prevention acknowledging that authorities do not currently have the resources to provide around-the-clock protection in domestic violence cases, while another called for greater protection for women.

St Omer was found in the driver’s side of a vehicle in Marigot, with multiple gunshot wounds.

Police said the suspect turned himself in and remains in custody as investigations continue. They also confirmed that an active protection order was in place against the suspect at the time of St Omer’s killing and that there was an ongoing court matter involving alleged breaches of that order.

The fatal shooting has triggered expressions of grief and anger across social media, with many Saint Lucians demanding stronger intervention mechanisms for victims who report threats and abuse before violence escalates.

Speaking to the media on Thursday, Minister for Crime Prevention Jeremiah Norbert described the incident as “very unfortunate” and expressed sympathy to the victim’s family, while acknowledging the emotional toll the tragedy has taken on St Omer’s loved ones, including her young daughter, and the wider country.

“No child should be placed in that position, no family, no sister, no brother, nobody should have to deal with that situation. Last night, when I got the news, it really caused me to lose sleep,” he said.

Norbert said the government has a responsibility to protect vulnerable individuals and victims of domestic violence and has made efforts to do so. However, he acknowledged that authorities do not have sufficient resources to provide constant protection for every victim.

The minister said that from all indications, “police would have done what they had to do”.

“Truth is…we don’t have the resources in place to be able to provide 24-hour surveillance for persons who make reports of gender violence or persons who make reports of stalking or anything of that sort. So you do what you’re supposed to do, and then you have other agencies who have responsibility to go further over the matter,” he added.

He cited the police, the Gender Relations Department, the Family Court and counselling services among the institutions involved in supporting victims.

Police confirmed that the suspect in St Omer’s killing had previously been charged with harm, threatening words and violating the protection order after an assault report was made in March. Although bail was initially denied by the First District Court, the accused was later granted bail by the High Court.

According to police, St Omer made another report to the Anse La Raye Police Station on the morning of her death. Officers conducted searches for the suspect afterwards, but were unable to locate him at the time.

Pressed to respond to the view that the public had failed the victim, Norbert said: “The police have a role to play, the courts have a role to play, society has a role to play…. All of us can come up with our own conclusion as to at what point did she did not get the support that she needed, and again, I don’t want to point fingers at anyone.”

The minister also cautioned against rushing to assign blame before the investigation is completed, saying the tragedy should instead serve as “a real eye-opener” for the country to re-examine its systems and determine what can be done to provide even greater layers of protection for victims of domestic violence.

Youth Minister Kenson Casimir also condemned the killing and called for greater protection for women.

“This is not a me thing, or an ‘I’ thing, this is definitely a ‘we thing!’ This just cannot continue,” Casimir wrote, using the hashtags #JusticeForJoy and #EndViolenceAgainstWomen.

Prime Minister and Minister for National Security Philip J. Pierre also issued a public statement expressing sorrow over the killing.

“I am deeply saddened and disturbed by the tragic loss of Joy St Omer, whose life was taken in an act of violence yesterday,” Pierre wrote on social media.

“This is a heartbreaking situation which is even more painful for the family, loved ones and young child left behind.”

The Prime Minister said every person deserves to feel safe and stressed that disagreements should never escalate into violence.

“We must learn to talk to each other, seek help, walk away when necessary and resolve conflict without violence,” he said.

Pierre added that while the government continues to strengthen prevention, justice and rehabilitation measures, decisions surrounding bail and the judiciary remain outside direct political control because of the separation of powers.

 

Any third-party or user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries published on the St. Lucia Times website (https://stluciatimes.com) in no way convey the thoughts, sentiments or intents of St. Lucia Times, the author of any said article or post, the website, or the business. St. Lucia Times is not responsible or liable for, and does not endorse, any comments or replies posted by users and third parties, and especially the content therein and whether it is accurate. St. Lucia Times reserves the right to remove, screen, edit, or reinstate content posted by third parties on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times (this includes the said user posts, comments, replies, and third-party entries) at our sole discretion for any reason or no reason, and without notice to you, or any user. For example, we may remove a comment or reply if we believe it violates any part of the St. Lucia Criminal Code, particularly section 313 which pertains to the offence of Libel. Except as required by law, we have no obligation to retain or provide you with copies of any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website or any other online platform owned by St. Lucia Times. All third-parties and users agree that this is a public forum, and we do not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any content you as a user may post, or any other post or reply made by any third-party on this website. Any posts made and information disclosed by you is at your own risk.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

TRENDING

369
Water

Have you been affected by recent water disruptions?

Subscribe to our St. Lucia Times Newsletter

Get our headlines emailed to you every day.